INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNTIES WITH MILWAUKEE ACHIEVER
Milwaukee Achiever Literacy Services is the only adult literacy agency in the greater Milwaukee area accredited by ProLiteracy Worldwide. Milwaukee Achiever’s mission is to provide education, life skills training and workforce development instruction for adult learners in an atmosphere of mutual acceptance and respect. Learners are inspired and empowered to enrich their lives and their communities. Today, Milwaukee Achiever serves over 1,000 learners annually, with an increasing number of individuals flocking to our centers each year. Two learning centers that comprise our community programming are located at 1215 South 45th Street (on Milwaukee's south side) and 5566 North 69th Street (on the northwest side). To meet an increasing demand for workforce literacy, Milwaukee Achiever has also opened a number of satellite learning labs in the city. At these various locations, Milwaukee Achiever provides adult learners with one-on-one and small group, instruction in Adult Basic Education (ABE), English Language Learning (ELL), General Educational Development (GED), citizenship, computer, and workforce development skills. Our mission is possible because of the dedicated efforts of over 265 highly skilled volunteer tutors who motivate their learners to attain learning and career goals.
From its humble beginnings through the present day, Milwaukee Achiever has helped over 23,000 highly motivated adult learners and is currently serving approximately 1,000 learners per year from nearly 50 countries including the United States.
Milwaukee Achiever Literacy Services is seeking a highly motivated, self-starting, creative student who is passionate about event planning. This is an unpaid position with the hands-on opportunity to learn about non-profits and corporate stewardship. Interns gain hands-on experience in marketing/graphic design, development/fundraising, adult education, volunteer management/recruitment and administrative assistant duties. The intern will also assist the Development Coordinator and Executive Director as needed.
Milwaukee Achiever Literacy Services, Inc. program is open to college students, recent graduates and members of the community.
Event Planning, Marketing & Public Relations, Volunteer Management, Development, Customer Service, Administrative.
Some of the tasks include, but are not limited to:
- • Responsible for planning and coordinating the logistics of one-day events or activities with our members and corporate partners.
- • Collaborating with all program sites and corporate partners to ensure a meaningful experience.
- • Assist with administrative aspects of event planning such as selecting the site/location, creating event timelines, budget and agenda.
- • Assist with corporate sponsorships solicitations including: researching relevant businesses, creating sponsorship packets and making follow up phone calls and emails.
PROGRAM DATES & HOURS
Milwaukee Achiever’s internship program runs year round with new sessions beginning every four months and can continue up to a year in length.
Fall Term: September - December
Spring Term: January - May
Summer Term: June - August
Individual start and end dates may vary.
Apply 1-2 months before the term begins.
Hours: 15-20 hours per week.
- • Volunteer management skills a plus.
- • Very strong interpersonal skills preferred.
- • Experience in event planning is preferred.
- • Knowledge of local businesses a plus.
- • Experience in sales and/or fundraising a plus.
- • Demonstrate proven leadership skills(willingness to take initiative).
All Milwaukee Achiever Literacy Services, Inc. internships are unpaid. Though this position is unpaid, we believe it would be ideal for individuals who are looking for hands-on experience in event planning, volunteer management and/or sponsorship solicitation. Interns will have the ability to attend trainings/workshops offered to Milwaukee Achiever staff members. Upon successful completion the Intern will receive a letter of recommendation.
- Familiarize yourself with Milwaukee Achiever Literacy Services, Inc. by visiting MilwaukeeAchiever.org.
- Complete the following survey questions:
- Describe why you want to be an intern at Milwaukee Achiever Literacy Services, Inc. and how an internship would help you to achieve your career goals.
- Describe any skills or other internship related qualifications that would support your application.
- What skills do you wish to learn or enhance during your internship?
- Send your cover letter and resume.
- Include any supporting materials.
- Send application and materials to: